Saturday, August 1, 2009

Smoke Detectors

Okay, so the weirdest thing happened this week at the Jones Box. I have heard different reports from different people regarding smoke smells. Some believe that you will get the smell out and some say it NEVER comes out. The restoration people took every stitch of clothing we owned last week after the fire. They say that they have a special way to clean them, and they guarantee their work or we do not pay. I have been excited hoping that our clothes could be saved. High hopes, I know.

So, on Thursday, they brought out the emergency set they took 1st to sort through which mostly contained my clothes. When the delivery driver started bringing them into our box the smoke detector started going off. Jay thought that maybe the battery was old and took it out. After the driver left, I told Jay that I had just purchased and replaced the battery, (of course I wanted to know that we had a good smoke detector), so he put it back up. When we started opening the bags of clothes, we noticed the smoke smell, but the detector noticed it more. It started going off and would not stop. So Jay and Emily took the clothes back outside and the alarm quit going off.

Now, Jay thought that it was funny. I was depressed. My hope is wavering on the restoration of my clothes. We kept one pair of my pants out and my sister washed it in the normal wash cycle and the smell was still there. She is going to rewash it tomorrow after soaking it in vinegar and see if that works. PRAY FOR THE VINEGAR! I do not want to go shopping for new clothes, it is not fun for me.

Also, I understand that in the end of all of this I will have a great house! It will be all new and I will love it. I want people to know why I am not excited about this. I LOVED MY HOUSE!!!! God gave me that house 9 years ago and I loved every piece of it. It had its flaws, like any house, but it was mine and I was proud of it. I know that God has His reasons for this, and in the end I will probably come out better, but please understand that right not that does not make any of this better. For example: Jay and I went to Lowe's last night with the girls to get pickets to fix the dog fence where the fireman had to cut it down. While there, we just stopped by the kitchen department. Let me rephrase that, Jay MADE me go to the kitchen department to look at cabinets and counters. Do you have any idea how many choices they are? How do you pick the right one? How do you know that when you put it in your house that it will look okay? How do you know your choice is right and that you will be able to live with it for many years to come? SCARY, SCARY!

So, while you look and listen to me, and think that I am handling this pretty well, know that inside I am asking those questions about everything we are doing right now. I am second guessing everything. I pray for God to give me guidance, please pray that I will be patient in seeking His will in this MESS!

No comments:

Post a Comment